Wednesday, October 06, 2004

The Cookie Jar Has Busted Open
Yesterday, a terrible event took place in my life. A record that I have held since April 3rd, 1989 was flushed down the porcelain tube...literally. That's right, your worst fears have been realized; I threw up.

April 3rd, Kindergarten, that was the last time. The only time before that was an incident where I ate a box of Sucrets (powerful throat lozenges) and I was forcibly made to throw up. But that last day, I remember it like it was yesterday. I was sitting on the top bunk in my bedroom, my younger brother Chris was sitting cheerfully on the bottom floor watching an animated cartoon show. Earlier that day, I had come home feeling quite ill. I was recuperating in my bedroom, watching the television from above. Suddenly I was hit hard with a whirl of nausea and I said "Chris I think..." and that was it. I lost it, right over the side of the bunk bed onto Chris' bed below. It was a terrible day, one I will never forget. Since then I vowed that never again would I be attacked by fits of nausea, I would fight.

Over the course of the next 15 years I would stupefy audiences with tales of my iron belly. Some people refused to believe that I could have held out so long, but I knew the truth. It had been that long, and I had done it without as much as a close call. But yesterday, all that hard work was dashed into the wind.

It was 12:33 am, and I was at the gym doing my normal routine. Breakfast and the gym go hand and hand, but I usually can get away with eating very minimally before. This time all I had was a yogurt, which suited me just fine. But at that precise time, I suddenly was swept over with a falling sensation. My head was spinning like a dreidel in a sandstorm, I had to sit. I have become dizzy before at the gym, usually it passes. But there was something different, something was lurking somewhere in the depths of my soul. My trainer Danika looked at me worried. I said I was fine, but those were words spoken too soon. I felt it, the buildup in the back of my throat, and I suddenly became very worried.

I hurried away into the nearest restroom. Still, I really didn't think I would go through with it. I thought it was just a temporary feeling that would go away the moment I was in the restroom. But as I knelt down as a precaution all hell broke loose.

I came out feeling much better physically, but mentally I was distraught. All that hard work, all that time, all those stories, all of my loyal followers, gone. I was a traitor to my own cause.

So begins a new chapter in my life, where I look upon that experience as one of learning. I will not falter, I will thrive. You may have gotten me this time, but you will never get me again!

You may have noticed a new section at the begining of the right collumn. That number will increase each and every day I have sustained myself automatically.